[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 02:35:48 CEST 2010

2010/9/13 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:49 +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> >
> >                 Also, about the slave names, would it be possible to
> >                 use the same names
> >                 that are on the PdLab page? I.e. not CamelCase, but
> >                 with-dashes
> >                 instead :)
> >
> >         Sure, i will. Soon :)
> >
> > Done - used the names verbatim from the PdLab page, which means there
> > is *some* CamelCase, also x86_64 *and* amd64. At least it's now in
> > perfect sync with the wiki page.
> > Tonight i'll try to set up the slaves.
> >
> >         Now i'm at CVS polling... it goes with a script snippet, which
> >         i'm not sure about if it does what we want... could you take a
> >         look at http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall sometimes and see
> >         if the changes trigger the right builder? The snippet is like
> >         this:
> >
> >         def my_file_splitter(path): # file splitter for
> >         BRANCHNAME/PROJECT/FILEPATH repos
> >           pieces = path.split('/')
> >           if pieces[0] == 'trunk':
> >              branch = None
> >              pieces.pop(0) # remove 'trunk'
> >           elif pieces[0] == 'branches':
> >              pieces.pop(0) # remove 'branches'
> >              # grab branch name
> >              branch = 'branches/' + pieces.pop(0)
> >           else:
> >              return None # something weird
> >           projectname = pieces.pop(0)
> >         #  if projectname != 'pure-data':
> >         #     return None # wrong project
> >           return (branch, '/'.join(pieces))
> >
> >         further explanation is here:
> >         http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/latest/SVNPoller.html
> >
> > It really seems to me that buildbout does not understand yet which
> > builder to start upon which change. Once you have time, you could take
> > a look into this 'splitter' thing.
>
> Ok, will do.  Its great to have buildbot running nightly builds, so that
> will just be cake.  Let me finish the Pd-extended release and the
> pure-data 0.43 release...

Sure i let you! :o)

>  > Also, please note, that the pd-extended build fails in buildbot - with
> > various reasons.
> > http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall
>
> Ok, I just committed a fix to this, hopefully.

Good, we'll see how the slaves like it
http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall?show_events=true

>  > BTW i have reorganized builders so that we see now what's up on
> > different platforms. It's a bit frightening to think about how this
> > will look with each external building independently (multiplied by
> > platforms) - i think a second master shall be dedicated to them, and
> > then the so called 'categories' will help to keep some order.
>
> Yeah, I think it makes sense to have Pd-extended and pure-data.git
> builds separate from all of the libraries. I don't know enough about
> buildbot to say how best it should be done.

We will create a new master, which will run as a separate process and will
have it's own webpage. What i meant actually was pd-extended and vanilla on
one master (as it is now) and independent externals on another master.
Buildbot would handle them all very well in one master, at the moment it's
only for keeping the web views not too crowded. So i may even be able to
find a solution in a single master.

Andras