[PD-dev] using the MSYS and Cygwin shells on the PdLab server

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 15 15:25:17 CEST 2010

I'm cc'ing pd-dev so others may benefit from this.  There is nothing
magic about the files in Cygwin and MSYS, they are all on the same
file system. The problem is each system has its own root path:

* in Windows, its C:\
* in Cygwin, its /cygdrive/c
* in MSYS, its /c

For /tmp in Cygwin, its C:\cygwin\tmp.  I think MSYS uses the Windows
$TEMP or $TMP location.

As for ssh/scp and UNIX utils, I would stick with the Cygwin ones,
they work much better.  I only use MSYS for running the actual builds,
and Cygwin for everything else.

I'll check the home dir perms, Windows is a pain to deal with, so
sorry its messed up.

.hc

On Sep 15, 2010, at 4:10 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> however, it' a bit awkward to get data into the msys shell.
> is there any drive/mountpoint where i can share data between cygwin
> and
> msys?
>
> in cygwin, my ${HOME} is C:\cygwin\home\pddev
> in MSYS, my ${HOME} is C:\msys\1.0\home\pddev
>
> in msys, it seems like i cannot access the cygwin home all, as this is
> not mounted (via msys:/etc/fstab)
>
> in cygwin, i can cd into /c/msys/1.0/home/pddev/, but i have no
> permissions to write here.
>
> in msys, if i open the shell using run...->"C:\msys\1.0\msys.bat" (or
> Programs->MinGW->MSYS->MSYS), i get into /home/pddev (which seems to
> be
> C:\msys\1.0\home\pddev as well) but i have no permissions to write
> either(!)
>
> it seems like the only place i can write to from msys, is /tmp (which
> according to msys:/etc/fstab is mapped from c:/DOCUME~1/pd/LOCALS~1/
> Temp)
> unfortunately i cannot access this path from neither cygwin nor from
> plain "windows" (explorer, cmd), as i don't even have read
> permissions.
>
> so i thought about using a FAT32 partition (D:), as this is the usual
> way to share data on w32 systems.
> unfortunately i can only access it from cygwin and win, but not from
> msys.
>

> so i'm currently runing out of wit.
>
> or do i have to scp things from cygwin to my local machine, then put
> that onto an http server and download it within msys ;-)?
> ...i just noticed that there is an ssh client in msys as well, so i
> could use that...
> still doesn't sound very elegant to me...
>

> i guess, if only one 3rd person (apart from you and me) has ever
> logged
> into the machine as pddev they had the same problems solved in some
> way,
> but it seems i cannot do it.
>
> please help!
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman