[PD-dev] buildbot on Macs and from git

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 00:57:19 CEST 2010

>  I'm actually not going to have any time to look at this for a couple
>>> weeks, so please edit away.
>>>
>>> Ok, i will. I'm not very good at build building generally, and which
>>> steps certain pd sources need, but i'll experiment. I'll bug you if
>>> something fails and i really don't know why.
>>>

>> I'll still be on email, so I can contribute here and there.  Yeah, I was
>> also thinking that the libs wouldn't stop the whole build.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> Could you help me with these?
>> - What is the "svn update" meant to do after rsync? Right now it just
>> fails...
>>

> The rsync server is updated 2-3 times a day, the "svn update" is meant to
> get any more recent changes.  I fixed that so it should fail anymore.
>

>  - Pdx "make package" fails on linux with "dpkg-deb: control directory has
>> bad permissions 700 (must be >=0755 and <=0775)", i suppose it's easy to
>> come around this, but i guess from the Makefile...
>>

> Yeah, this is annoying because builtbot sets the umask so that group and
> other get no permissions.  but to build a .deb package you need to have the
> files at least 0755 (user-rwx, group-rx, other-rx). I'm not quite sure how
> to handle it.  My guess is that it would make sense to set the umask on the
> buildbot builds to have group/other read/execute perms.  I think that's
> umask 022.

Seems that slaves can have their own umask set in
/var/lib/buildbot/slavename/buildbot.tac
Set 022 on my box, let's see if it helps.
ps: cannot see because an older compile error came back: "cannot find
install-sh, install.sh, or shtool"

>  - Git update fails with "fatal: ambiguous argument '14159': unknown
>> revision or path not in the working tree. Use '--' to separate paths from
>> revisions". Is it a buldbot bug (tries to use svn version for git?) or do
>> you have another idea?
>>

> Sounds like git and svn are fighting ;-) Sounds like the buildbot is
> running git with the SVN revision number: "/usr/bin/git reset --hard 14165".
>  I guess that happens when a new SVN checkin triggers a git build.  I think
> we need to remove the SVN tracking for a PBChangeSources style.

Done. buildbot 0.8.1 has GitPoller() so one day we may be able to set it up.
Meanwhile we could take a look how this PBChangeSource() can be triggered
from the sourceforge git. One way is contrib/git_buildbot.py, another a
commit script calling "buildbot sendchange" and the last resort is parsing
commit mails ("post-receive-email" for git) with a MaildirSource() which is
to be written up. Knowing that GitPoller() already exists i'd recommend the
simplest solution but which one is that? :)

Andras