[PD-dev] Segfault without messages

Brian Neltner neltnerb at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 23 21:36:00 CEST 2010

Dear PureData developer list,

I have recently switched from Max/MSP to PureData as I like the fact
that it runs on linux and also like that it is open source. I am using
it for a big project in order to analyze audio using the aubio plugin,
and then based on the analysis output open sound control packets using
packOSC and sendUDP to a locally running server which will control a
large number of LED lights.

The program I am using to analyze the music and output control signals
is pretty basic, but for some reason after running for an hour or two,
PureData inexplicibly segfaults without any debug messages even at
pdextended -d 10. I assume at that point any debug messages that are
being generated are being printed, so something is happening for which
there is no debugging handler to explain the problem.

I have attached the offending script. It is running on ubuntu 10.04
using the PD repository for lucid, and is using the pd-aubio library
from that distribution, with the external copied
from /usr/lib/pd/extras/ to /usr/lib/pd-extended/extras/

Literally the output from running in the terminal before crashing is:

pd ping;
pd ping;
... (repeated)
pd gui; pd process exited
Segmentation Fault

Not very useful...

Thanks for any help... I was planning to try to use pd to control the
lighting at a pretty big show next week, so this really is throwing a
wrench into my plans. It would definitely be a major pain to have to
reimplement this in C or something =/

Sincerely,
Brian Neltner