[PD-dev] compile pd-extended without gcc optimisation option for debug

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Nov 7 19:24:44 CET 2010

Have you tried searching puredata.info for "gdb"?  There is some info
there for how to do it.  Its relatively easy once you know the right
steps, I've done it a few times.

For debug builds, you just need to make sure you have "-g" as a flag,
and remove any "-O" flags and 'strip' commands.

.hc

On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Etienne THUILLIER wrote:

> what I mean is thay I want a "no optimisation" option not a "no
> compilation" of course.. sorry for the typo.. I hope I m responding
> correctly to the list for this correction.. I am a newbie...
>
> Le 3 nov. 10 à 21:02, Etienne THUILLIER a écrit :
>
>> hello all..
>>
>> i built a complicated external and needed to debug it. i wanted to
>> use gdb debugger (i m under linux) and since I found no info about
>> how to find the external s "mounting" adress which gdb requires, i
>> m currently compiling pure data extended as a whole plus my source
>> code added.. so I ve added myexternal_setup() function in m_conf.c
>> and I referenced my source files in the makefile.in file of the src
>> directory..
>>
>> gdb seems to work fine appart that it seems to jump portions of
>> code without reason.. so i m wondering if thats not caused by
>> optimisation arguments given to the gcc compiler when building.. i
>> ve noticed the -O2 options in a few make/config files which are
>> generated automaticaly after the "make install" command... where
>> can i specify that i want thoses files to be generated so as to
>> include a "no compilation" option (for example the -O0 option if
>> i'm correct)??
>>
>> i ve searched a long time.. any idea, or hint to where to look
>> would be of great help.. thanks in advance..
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Etienne THUILLIER
>> etienne.thuillier at polymtl.ca

> Etienne THUILLIER
> etienne.thuillier at polymtl.ca
>
> L’information contenue dans ce courrier électronique est strictement
> confidentielle et réservée au destinataire désigné ci-dessus. En cas
> d’erreur du destinataire, merci d’avoir l’obligeance de nous en
> avertir
> immédiatement par retour de télécopie ou de courriel et de détruire le
> message.
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and
> confidential and
> for the use of the above named addressee only. Should you have
> received this
> e-mail in error please notify us immediately by reply facsimile or e-
> mail
> and delete this message.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra