[PD-dev] Debian packaging: multi-object/single-file libraries or single-object/multiple-files libraries?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 11 10:49:24 CET 2010

On 2010-11-11 10:07, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> pd-iemmatrix:
> 	generic single-file library depending on the metapackage 'pd'.
>
> pdextended-iemmatrix:
> 	dedicated iemmatrix package for Pd-extended, dependent on
> 	'pd-extendeded', compiled as one-object-per-file library.
>
> What do you think? Does that work for everyone, Hans, IOhannes?

i agree, that the prefixes should reflect the "Depends:" clause.
("pdextended-iemmatrix" should thus 'Depend' on pd-extended)

however, i don't see, why "pd-iemmatrix-multifile" (this is _not_ a
proposal for a good name) should not be able to run with "puredata" (if
the user deliberately choses so), so one should not tie this package to
"pdextended".

> OTOH, i could imagine that there won't be acceptance from the
> pkg-multimedia team for including the same package twice, besides the

this we should probably discuss on the pkg-multimedia list.

> fact that this is very ugly. But I don't see another way than this or
> consciously breaking Pd-extended.

the question is, how much will break in reality.
people using [import iemmatrix] and consequently using [mtx_egg] will
not experience any degradation in flavour.
people wanting to use [mtx_*] with multifile have a stale flavour anyhow.

anyhow, until pd-hexloader is packaged, this discussion is quite moot
anyhow.
i don't think that switching from single-binary to multi-binary in the
package would cause much trouble.

>> PS: i knew there was another library i should have packaged for debian.
>
> I didn't mean to take that away from you. Before I started I wanted to
> point out possible issues.

though now i have created some ITPs for various iem-packages, including
iemmatrix ;-)

mcvasdr
IOhannes