[PD-dev] Debian packaging: multi-object/single-file libraries or single-object/multiple-files libraries?

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 12 10:55:38 CET 2010

On 11/12/2010 05:24 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
>> I'm new to Debian and to linux, and have two noob questions:
>> 1. If package A has an abstraction that depends on an object from
>> package B, is package B automatically installed when I install package
>> A?
>
> If the package has the correct Depends: set, then yes.  For binary
> libraries, there are tools to do it.  For abstractions, its a manual
> process, but I suppose we could script it.

and if something was missed, it would be a bug, that you could report
and that can easily be fixed (given that a lot of packages are packaged
right now, it might be that there is too little time to check everything
manually)

>> 2. If package A has a help patch that uses an object from package
>> B, is package B automatically installed when I install package A?
>
> Same as above.

there has been some discussion about this, and the consensus was, that
help-patch dependencies should be treated as not-hard-dependencies.
this would allow advanced users to override the "dependency", e.g.
_allowing_ to install a library like "pd-mapping" without having to
install "pd-pddp".

but in general, a user who does not want to tweak their pkg-manager
settings, will get a fully functional library.

fm,asdr
IOhannes