[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3077431 ] add threaded read/write for coll to avoid xruns

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 21 23:43:26 CET 2010

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=3077431&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: externals
Group: feature

Initial Comment:
Xruns occur when coll tries to read/write large files, particularly when Pd is running more complex patches. Following proposed solution does read/write in a separate thread to avoid generating xruns and outputs bang on load using clock_delay to make it sync properly with the main thread.

Date: 2010-11-21 17:43

Message:
I don't know Max/MSP enough to say, so that's not a decision I'm going to
make.  If you want to work on cyclone as a Max/MSP clone library, then I
think you should discuss it with the author, Krzysztof Czaja.

Comment By: Ivica Ico Bukvic (ico_bukvic)
Date: 2010-11-21 17:02

Message:
FWIW, in Max/MSP loading large coll files (or any files for that matter)
does not cause any xruns while in Pd it does. Now, I am not sure if this is
due to deeper architectural difference between Pd and Max code base but as
it is right now coll is unusable in a good number of scenarios and it does
not behave like the counterpart it tries to emulate. This bugfix solves
that. Likewise, a collection of fixes to the cyclone I submitted more
recently deals with the cyclone file editor that coll also uses and makes
it also more user friendly (e.g. you can save the changes without closing
the window) which is also how the original coll file behaves (AFAIK).

HTH

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2010-11-21 16:27

Message:
Hey Ico, glad to see you putting work into hard problems.

cyclone is a complex library with a very specific goal: a collection of
clones of Max/MSP objects, bugs, warts and all.  I recommend that you just
make your own version of [coll] and give it a new name to avoid confusion,
unless you really share this goal and are willing to test against Max/MSP.

Comment By: Ivica Ico Bukvic (ico_bukvic)
Date: 2010-10-02 10:35

Message:
Fixed and re-uploaded the patch after discovering some stability issues.