[PD-dev] split out 'osc' and 'net' from 'mrpeach'?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:57:10 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 13:38 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
> On 2010-11-28 12:13, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> > Hey Martin and all,
> >
> > Just had a thought: originally everything in the 'mrpeach' folder was
> > bundled into a single library, which I think Martin didn't really
> > intend. I did it to get Martin's valuable code out there in a kind of
> > beta way. Now I think its quite clear that the 'net' and 'osc' sections
> > in 'mrpeach' are really the canonical way of doing networking and OSC
> > with Pd

I'd hesitate to call using  mrpeach/net the 'canonical' way. Last time I
checked, there were still issues with many classes, in particular the
blocking issue of [tcpsend]/[tcpclient]/[tcpserver] discussed in a
plethora of mails. That's also the reason why IOhannes rewrote those and
released them as the iemnet library. The classes from iemnet are
high-performance and don't suffer from any blocking issue.

> , so I think it makes sense to have them distributed as the 'net'
> > and 'osc' library. I'm guessing Martin had that intention originally.
> > Also, I noticed that IOhannes's filed an Intent-To-Package for something
> > called 'pd-osc', which I am guessing is externals/mrpeach/osc.
> >
> > So my only question is: what becomes of 'mrpeach'?
>

> [slipenc] and [slipdec] are useful for OSC over serial, so maybe put
> them in Net?

Yeah, and also they are very useful for transporting message oriented
protocols over TCP. OSC 1.1 even uses SLIP for sending OSC over TCP
(Which reminds me, that I should update [unpackOSCstream] and
[packOSCstream] to use SLIP instead of the OSC 1.0 message length
prefix).

Roman