[PD-dev] split out 'osc' and 'net' from 'mrpeach'?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Nov 29 18:36:18 CET 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 4:36 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 11/28/2010 10:17 PM, Martin Peach wrote:
>> On 2010-11-28 15:57, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>
>> That's another reason they should be in net instead of mrpeach: it
>> seems
>> that having my name on the folder inhibits others from improving the
>> objects, so we end up with multiple parallel incompatible objects, in
>> this case with the same names.
>
> a)
> my intention when writing iemnet was to maintain compatibility with
> mrpeachnet  (with silently dropping things which i find either ugly
> hackz to circumvent problems in the current implementation (e.g the
> "unblock" message) or things that have nothing todo with networking
> (the
> possibility to directly send the contents of files)
>
> in most cases they should thus be exchangeablee
>
> b)
> my intention as a debian packager was to provide both packages as
> "pd-iemnet" and "pd-mrpeachnet", not making any of those the
> "canonical"
> library.
> i still think thaat both share sufficient parts of their interface to
> make them be called "compatible", so i would also make both of them
> provide "pd-net", allowing people to use them as "net/udpsend" (if
> they
> can stick to the common API) or as "mrpeach/net/udpsend" if they
> cannot
> live without sending entire files directly.
>
> i haven't done the actual packaging yet (given my currently available
> time...)

It is OK IMHO to have iemnet use the names as the mrpeach objects as
long as the stated goal is interface compatibility.  But I think this
packaging idea is just added complication without and real benefit.  A
library is a library in Debian from what I have seen.  I've never seen
this kind of arrangement for libraries in Debian, so I think it would
be a bad idea to start it with Pd.

.hc