[PD-dev] GUI plugins

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:28:54 CET 2010

2010/11/30 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

> I cc'ed the Pd-list since I think this is relevent there.
>
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 8:40 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>

> 2010/11/29 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello HC,
>>
>> i was just trying to pick this up, but i'm kinda confused with the new
>> startup order. It seems at the moment of load_startup_plugins(), which is by
>> the end of pdtk_pd_startup() we don't yet have a functional
>> ::pdwindow::verbose to print on the console. (Also, the '---done with
>> main---' message at the end of main doesn't appear on my console.)
>

> Do you have an idea on this?
>

> the "done with main" thing was just a debug message.  So the verbose proc
> doesn't work in a plugin?

it doesn't - and imo it's strange that it doesn't work at the end of main{}
either

>> Plus (i couldn't go into it, but) it seems to me that startup plugins are
>> run twice.
>>

> It seems this is because both $::sys_searchpath and $::sys_staticpath
> contains ~/pd-externals (where i keep these plugins). Is it my error that
> i've added it once to my patch list or is it like this for everyone? And -
> do you think a mechanism to prevent loading a plugin more than once is
> necessary?
>

> Sounds like you have ~/pd-externals added as a path via the preferences.
>  Its now part of the hard-coded sys_staticpath.

Yes, that's the situation. I'm just worried that other people may have
'double' entries too, which could cause all kinds of weirdnesses in the
future, not only with plugins. One of the following methods could be
implemented:
a) When sys_searchpath and sys_staticpath are concatenated (or even before)
we filter out double entries
b) We don't let the user add a folder to sys_searchpath which is already in
sys_staticpath
c) We just make sure that load_startup_plugins{} doesn't load the same
plugin twice
I'd recommend a)

Andras