[PD-dev] split out 'osc' and 'net' from 'mrpeach'?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Dec 1 03:02:20 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 16:17 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
> On 2010-11-28 15:57, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> > I'd hesitate to call using  mrpeach/net the 'canonical' way. Last time I
> > checked, there were still issues with many classes, in particular the
> > blocking issue of [tcpsend]/[tcpclient]/[tcpserver] discussed in a
> > plethora of mails. That's also the reason why IOhannes rewrote those and
> > released them as the iemnet library. The classes from iemnet are
> > high-performance and don't suffer from any blocking issue.
>
> That's another reason they should be in net instead of mrpeach: it seems
> that having my name on the folder inhibits others from improving the
> objects, so we end up with multiple parallel incompatible objects, in
> this case with the same names.
>
> (And when was the last time you checked?)
>
> Martin

I call mrpeach/net canonical not because I believe is it perfect and
bugfree, but rather because it is the established, proven way of doing
more elaborate networking.  Its the best option out there. iemnet is
just a fork of that with some specific changes.  iemnet is very new and
not tested as much, so it seems a really bad idea to start basing things
off of it, like how to package things in Debian, etc.  Who knows,
perhaps mrpeach/net and iemnet will merge again.