[PD-dev] removing non-free code from pure-data SVN

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 9 16:32:49 CET 2010

First off, I need to say I think Yves' code is great and very useful,
and he's doing important work that no one else is currently doing.
This has nothing to do with that.  Yves changed his license to a non-
free license, which he is free to do, but there are real effects to
doing that:

- SourceForge does not allow non-free code
- it cannot be legally distributed because the terms of each license
are in conflict with each other (Yves' license vs GPL)
- it cannot be included in Pd-extended, its GPLv3

Yves' license is in direct conflict with the GPL'ed code of others
that is included in both pidip and unauthorized. So if you use it,
either Yves or the other GPL'ed copyright holders can sue you for
copyright violations.

Yves has made his decision, and he said to remove his code (http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2010-12/084998.html
), so now we need to make ours.  I'm not touching pidip anymore, so
I'm fine with it staying in pure-data SVN or not.  unauthorized was
GPL until a few days ago, so I think we should maintain a clean GPL
fork in the pure-data SVN.  That means removing the non-free
unauthorized.

.hc