[PD-dev] question about building externals on Linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Dec 29 20:34:22 CET 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 2:08 AM, katja wrote:

> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>
> >>I've taken a quick stab at trying to port John Gibson's spectdelay~
> >>external from Max to Pd and got stuck at the following error:
>
> >>load_object: Symbol "spectdelay_tilde_setup" not found
>

> From the code, it seems that the extern "C" specification is
> commented out together with Max-specific code for the setup function.

Yeah, it works differently in Max/MSP.  As far as I understand it, Max/
MSP calls the setup() function for externals in a different way.  Each
external object has a main() function, so they can't all be loaded
into the global namespace.  In Pd each external has a unique setup
function name that is loaded into the global namespace.

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)