[PD-dev] pd 0.43 test4: Canvas Position

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jan 22 19:02:41 CET 2011

On Jan 22, 2011, at 8:11 AM, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:

> On 01/22/2011 12:02 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> It was changed to work on GNOME/metacity, which is the default on
>> Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.  So it is by far and away the most
>> common.
>
> iirc, gnome is only widespread in the US, whereas europe (and esp.
> german speaking communities) used to favour KDE.
>
> this if course it under constant flux, but i wanted to point out that
> "by far and away the most common" is a very subjective and usually
> point
> of view which i strive to avoid.
>
> fgmadrs
> IOhannes

Yes, this is based on my experience.  According to Distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/
, these are the top 5 distros:

1  	Ubuntu  	2051>
2 	Mint 		1542>
3 	Fedora 		1452>
4 	openSUSE 	1131<
5 	Debian 		1109>

Of those, only openSUSE does not default to GNOME.  Ubuntu is based in
UK and most of the Mint team is based in Europe.  From my experience
teaching in Spain, France, Switzerland, and the UK, Ubuntu was the far
and away the most common distro I encountered.  Perhaps European Pd
users don't usually use these distros but I have yet to hear from more
than a handful of people who use other setups.

But really the point is that we should make the default work for the
most common setup, and then enable plugins so people can taylor this
setting to their own.

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne