[PD-dev] signal external behaviour changes without changing code

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 18 17:09:51 CET 2011

On 02/18/2011 04:16 PM, Andrew Hassall wrote:
> I'm writing a 2 externals for PD as part of my 3rd dissertation for a
> computer science degree. They are both signal externals, they are part
> of the LPC (linear predictive coding) algorithm, 1 to analyse the
> signal (create the filter coefficients and filter the incoming signal
> to give the source signal) and 1 to resynthesize the signal (using the
> filter coefficients to filter the source signal).
>
> However I've created both externals and sometimes when the items are
> created they behave as expected and work perfectly, but more often
> they do not work as intended

without reading further on, i want to make sure you are aware of the
fact, that Pd might give you the same pointer to both input and output
signals.
thus, if you write something into the output signal vector, you might
invalidate the input signal (fix: make sure you read all the input
samples before you overwrite them)

fgmadsr
IOhannes