[PD-dev] svn-repository general question

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Feb 19 19:50:26 CET 2011

On Feb 19, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> On 2011-02-19 11:29, Ingo Randolf wrote:
>> Hello&  thank you for the answer.

>>> this INSTALl.txt is
>>> a) outdated
>>
>> i thought so.
>>
>>> b) meant for the source release(!) rather than an SVN-snapshot
>>>
>>> the latter means: it is considered bad style to put anything
>>> "generated"
>>> (mostly binaries, but also scripts, like "configure") into VCS.
>>> hence
>>> configure (which is generated from configure.ac) is missing in the
>>> SVN.
>>
>> ok.
>>
>>> to generate everything needed in order to run "configure" (btw,
>>> nowadays
>>> this is in .../pd rather than .../pd/src) just run (in .../pd):
>>> $ ./autogen.sh
>>
>> so, since autogen.sh is also a script, it is not included in the
>> svn-snapshot...?
>> can you please tell me what to do, if i want to compile the
>> snapshot then?
>> - copy the scripts into?? or better copy the source out of the svn-
>> maintained folder, and copying the scripts needed to create the
>> configure script... etc...?
>>
>> where do i get those scripts from...? copying them from a source-
>> release?
>> copying the snapshot-sources into a source-release??
>>
>> is there a step-by-step tutorial for compiling a svn-snapshot?
>>

> I was using this:
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended
> But recently I have been unable to build Pd this way because trunk
> is inconsistent ATM.
> I think the idea is to choose a version in /branches and build that,
> starting in the packages directory. It worked for me with Pd-
> extended 0.42.5 on linux at least. For the latest versions of
> externals build them separately from trunk/externals.

Yes, its true, its a bit of a mess.  We haven't figured out out to
bridge from git to svn very well yet, and both pure-data and pd-
extended are now developed out of git.

If you want to build like the nightly builds, then use the 'rsync'
method of getting the source.