[PD-dev] status of verbose() in 0.43?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Feb 21 23:42:05 CET 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-02-16 04:53, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Do you remember why those "incr 4" and "level+4" are there to begin
>
> yes, so that "verbose(0," is not the same as "error("
>
>> with?  I think removing that is the best solution,
>
> the duplication should be removed.
>
>> and then leave 0-5
>> levels.  That way 5=all.
>
> i don't think so.
> "verbose(3," should have higher priority than "verbose(6,"
>
> even if nobody uses such high verbosity levels now (at least i don't
> know any use cases), "all" should be ALL, and not <=5.
>
> it's a conceptual difference, and we shan't mingle our ideas with what
> might be practical with conceptual differences
> (ah, it's still early in the morning; forgive my pompousness)

So how about this:

- keep verbose() as it is
- add logpost(level, message) to both Tcl and C
- change ::pdwindow::post to mirror the C post() i.e. remove level
- remove ::pdwindow::fatal, ::pdwindow::warn, ::pdwindow::info since
they are not used anywhere
- keep ::pdwindow::post ::pdwindow::error ::pdwindow::bug

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman