[PD-dev] status of verbose() in 0.43?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 22 09:17:53 CET 2011

On 2011-02-22 07:32, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> So how about this:
>>
>> - keep verbose() as it is
>> - add logpost(level, message) to both Tcl and C
>> - change ::pdwindow::post to mirror the C post() i.e. remove level
>> - remove ::pdwindow::fatal, ::pdwindow::warn, ::pdwindow::info since
>> they are not used anywhere
>> - keep ::pdwindow::post ::pdwindow::error ::pdwindow::bug

seems like a good idea.

> I just pushed to pd-extended.git a reworking of the Pd window and the

i haven't looked into that yet.

> post code, adding logpost() and dynamic updating of the log level.  It
> now keeps all messages in a buffer, then when you select a loglevel from
> the Pd window, it'll clear the Pd window and refilter the whole log
> based on the new log level.

i don't know whether this is so practical.
e.g. in my personal way of working i find that i often (ab?)use the
pd-console as a scratchpad, where i add comments or (more often) insert
spaces to group important information together.

but maybe the 2 interests don't clash in reality, so i don't have s very
strong opinion about it.

>  In the process I found some tweaks that
> make things run much faster when posting lots of messages, so that's
> nice.

sounds good.

> I'd like to refactor this into something for Pd 0.43. Miller, IOhannes,
> what do you think?

while we are at it, there is one more thing which i would like to have
in post() on the long run: attach the calling object to a special message.
the idea is, that (esp. with errors, but why not other messages as
well?), that you could double click on a message and it will bring you
to the object that sent it (if available/applicable)

right now this is only possible with pd_error (as this is the only fun
that explicitely gets a reference to the sending object), but it would
be nice if this could be done  for all printouts.

this would obviously need another argument on the tcl-side.

fgasdmr
IOhannes