[PD-dev] status of verbose() in 0.43?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 9 06:32:46 CET 2011

Hi all,

Sorry to reopen this old thread -- I think there's a more recent message
from HC but I can't find it right now.

I wonder if, in the interest of putting 0.43 out, we should just hide the
verbosity level control and let all printout through for 0.43, then try
to figure out how to do this correctly for 0.44.  I'm worried that the
verbosity level and the "verbose" flag (in the search path menu) aren't
coordinated. and I think they really should be.  We would need to figure
out whether verbosity can just be a level or should be a bitfield
(file open attempts, warnings, blah blah).  Also, the filtering almost
certainly should be done down in Pd, not in the Tcl code, unless there's
a significant amount of printout coming from the Tcl layer which I think
there isn't.

I still need to test Pd on a couple more hardware/software combinations,
but would dearly love to get the damn thing done so I can start working
on some things I'm delaying for 0.44.

thanks
Miller