[PD-dev] canvas class polymorphism

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:26:04 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> I think its going to be quite difficult to have a single object running in
> the CUDA/GPU while the rest of the patch runs on the CPU in regular Pd.  My
> guess is that the best first step would be to implement a basic Pd in CUDA,
> then work from there about integrating it.  Perhaps then you could use the
> [pd~] model.

That's given me something to think about.  How it might be done: functions
need to be declared __device__ to run as serial processes on the GPU.
There's no loss of what you can do in C on the GPU--it's just a lot slower
clock and threading is different.  Then, all the dynamic memory allocation
routines would need to be changed.

The functions to be called from the host would be declared __global__.

It sounds cumbersome, but possible.  Perhaps, it could be done for
libpd--but then I know there's still  ~10,000s of lines of code in libpd.
I'm not a libpd user, so I don't know how I'd test it without the
gui/editor.  That's just conjecture, but I can't see a good way to simplify
it yet.

I think it's better to only apply CUDA to the major vectorizable operations,
which is just signal operations, but also--I couldn't just apply it to *all*
signal operations.  So, I'd try to add the basic compatibility stuff for
managing signals allocated on GPU... and then go back and try to
incrementally add new signal externals from the Pd math tilde objects.

> For examples of reimplmentations of Pd, check out ZenGarden (C++) and
>  Webpd (Javascript) http://mccormick.cx/projects/WebPd/
>
> .hc

I've been having fun playing with WebPd--but I'm not needing that tool just
yet.  Soon... soon...