[PD-dev] working pd-ext 0.43 build on windows?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 13 19:09:57 CEST 2011

On 04/13/2011 05:11 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> That is not quite a good analogy.  The existing method was there: a
> folder that was searched by default called path/to/pd/extra.  You did
> not need to specify -path path/to/pd/extra.  ~/pd-externals is just
> another folder in that same list of folders to search.

i think it is a good analogy.
objects are loaded by default ("vanilla" set of objects).
afair, you never needed to import "vanilla" to create [f].

however, what my analogy is really about is, that there is a startup
flag "-nostdpath" which will _prevent_ path/to/pd/extra to be searched
for objects.
hence my suggestion to load "vanilla" by default, and add a flag
"-nostdlib" to prevent loading of this if you need to.

>> removing the core objects from Pd seems a more aggressive assault to
>> people's workflows than having them manually add some "standard"
>> search paths.
>>
>> either you do make exceptions or you don't.
>

> I want nothing aggressive or assaulting.

i appreciate that and i admit that using both "aggressive" and "assault"
was a bit of an overshoot.

> The idea is to solve problems
> like:
>
> - wanting use a SIMD-optimized version of the core objects for things
> that need it

a) i fully understand and support this.
b) i don't understand how my suggestion breaks with your idea.
you can always do a "-nostdlib -lib chocolate" to replace vanilla with
stracciatella.

c) i don't understand how this is not possible with current Pd.
as has been shown numerous times that you can simply override existing
objects. cf. zexy's [pack] and gf's [print].

basically it seems that you are proposing something complicated to
achieve something that is just there.

> - ability to use the new GUI/editor features while maintaining
> compatibility with older versions of Pd (i.e. steps towards the
> separation of the editor and the runtime).

i'm all in favour of separating editor and runtime, and providing cool
features. i fail to see how this is accomplished by forcing people to
load core objects (and in fact leaving them with a bare, non "working"
(for about all of the people) version of Pd)

fgmasdr
IOhannes