[PD-dev] signal nan values

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:55:59 CEST 2011

Andrew Hassal wrote:

>> I'm writing 2 externals that implement an LPC algorithm, to make the
>> results as acurate as possible I need to record some values from the
>> previous frame, I've found that after doing this I sometimes as far as
>> I can tell randomly get the output values of nan (for the values in
>> the output signal vector)
>> It happens at random times but it seems that I can make it happen
>> when I open a patch with a graph in it (whilst the signal is running)

Did you already find the answer? The fact that the problem specially arises
when you open a patch with a graph in it, may indicate that your code is
accessing memory locations which are not allocated to it. Stand alone
executables would by definition exit with segmentation fault, but with Pd
externals I have experienced more than once that the problem was only
revealed in a conflict with another object in the Pd process, notably when
using multiple instances of the newly written class.

Katja