[PD-dev] control backspace inside tk entry

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 08:03:08 CEST 2011

--- On Fri, 6/10/11, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] control backspace inside tk entry
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "pd-dev" <pd-dev at iem.at>
> Date: Friday, June 10, 2011, 6:07 AM
>
> Looking forward to an update on your search plugin, its
> already really good.
>
> I think that the Tk text widget has all of this stuff built
> into it.  Then you just need to lock it down a bit to
> act like a Tk entry.

From http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/TkCmd/text.htm (under "Bindings"):

"[29]
    Meta-backspace and Meta-Delete delete the word to the left of the insertion cursor."

Unfortunately I don't seem to have a "Meta" key anywhere on my keyboard.
tried <ctrl>-<alt>-delete then logged in again.  (Oops.)

I'm already using a combobox instead of an entry widget (to get a
drop-down history), and I have a feeling it would be a royal pain to
get the text widget to act like a combobox.

What's worse is that these default bindings don't seem to exist for
entry.  Evidently no one who uses tk needs to delete whole words unless
there are multiple lines...

-Jonathan