[PD-dev] revised search-plugin.tcl

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 01:05:47 CEST 2011

--- On Tue, 6/21/11, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] revised search-plugin.tcl
> To: pd-dev at iem.at
> Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 9:19 AM
>
> On 2011-06-21 02:13, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >
> > How does one tell the difference?
> >

> i think the idea is to segregrate based on the paths
> libraries are
> installed to.
> usually there are directories where you need suprt-user
> rights to write
> to. whenever something gets installed there, i think it
> would classify
> as being "included".

I think separating on by dir to get a distinction between root/user
accessible libraries won't work, like if I compile pd in ~/newest-vanilla/
and search for "included" libs. (Plus MacOS/Win/GNU-Linux distinctions...)

> e.g., everything in /path/to/pd/bin/../extra would be
> "included",
> whereas everything in /home/${USER}/ would be
> user-installed.
>
> a simpler discrimination would be to differentiate between
> 'administrator-installed' (paths starting with "/usr";
> eventually also
> include paths starting with "/opt" and "/var")
> 'user-installed' (the rest)
>
> paths like /usr/local/lib/pd-externals which are searched
> automatically,
> are somewhere inbetween, as they require su priviliges for
> installation
> but can definitely not be considered as 'included'.
>
> for other operating systems, the paths will obviously be
> different.
>
> i would probably find it more convenient, if there was a
> simple way to
> see the full path of a certain object.
> i can then figure out myself, whether this is
> user-installed or
> system-installed, and it helps me discriminate between
> multiple entries
> of the same name.

Could probably do a firefox style status bar to show the path when the
mouse hovers over the respective link (otherwise it's pretty ugly if it's
just in the search results for each result).

Do you think the path is needed in the search results for any reason other
than to resolve ambiguity between the same library being system-installed
and user-installed at the same time?  I mean, if someone just wants to
know whether the object described by cyclone/foo-help.pd is system- or
user-installed, they just click on the link and see the path is at the top
of the help patch window.

-Jonathan