[PD-dev] revised search-plugin.tcl

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jun 25 19:19:37 CEST 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 4:36 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2011-06-23 01:05, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>>
>>> I think separating on by dir to get a distinction between root/user
>>> accessible libraries won't work, like if I compile pd in ~/newest-
>>> vanilla/
>>> and search for "included" libs. (Plus MacOS/Win/GNU-Linux
>>> distinctions...)
>

>> e.g., everything in /path/to/pd/bin/../extra would be
>> "included",
>> whereas everything in /home/${USER}/ would be
>> user-installed.
>
> well, the trick was not to look at the permissions of the directory.
> but of course you are right, that the full path should not be the only
> means for discrimination.
> my original example noted /path/to/pd/ which of course could
> resolved to
> /home/me/newest-vanilla/
>
> what makes things worse, is that for different instances of Pd, the
> term
> "included" and "user-installed" might get swapped.
>

> e.g.
> $ ~/pd-0.43/src/pd -path ~/pd-0.42/src/extra
> would use the not-included-in-pd-0.43 [expr~] from pd-0.42,

In Tcl space, there are different variables to tell you this, and
they'll work cross-platform, and should work cross-installation (i.e.
in ~/newest-vanilla.)  From pd-gui.tcl:

# root path to lib of Pd's files, see s_main.c for more info
set sys_libdir {}
# root path where the pd-gui.tcl GUI script is located
set sys_guidir {}
# user-specified search path for objects, help, fonts, etc.
set sys_searchpath {}
# hard-coded search patch for objects, help, plugins, etc.
set sys_staticpath {}

.hc