[PD-dev] packaging the pddp docs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Jun 28 19:20:47 CEST 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>>> I'm already kind of doing that with pd-l2ork.
>> I've revised Miller's
>>> control/audio/ds tutorials.  Pd-l2ork has fixed
>> the crasher bug when
>>> a patch closes itself, so I've got a navigation
>> toolbar in those
>>> tutorials
>>> that is currently incompatible with
>> pd-extended/vanilla.
>>
>> I had no idea.  Ico seems to work on his own.  It
>> would be great to
>> have those bug fixes submitted to the patch tracker.
>> The patch
>> tracker is what Miller, IOhannes, Martin Peach, me and
>> others use for
>> keeping track of patches that are meant to go into
>> pure-data core.
>
> He's also working off 0.42 currently, so submitting to the
> tracker would be pointless.  I think someone was working
> to port the changes forward to 0.43, but Ico is currently
> on vacation and I'm not sure where they are in the process.

I merged in a couple things from l2ork, like Joe Sarlo's Magic Glass
and inlet/outlet highlighting.  More patches would be great to have.

>> representation
>> great
>> structure
>> it as a
>> others when
>> PDDP.
>> pure-data
>> we think is
>> options would

>> part
>>>
>>> So what is it you want me to do?
>>
>> To start with, choose a repository to work out of.
>> Shall we just
>> reorganize the doc/pddp folder in pure-data SVN?  Then
>> make that the
>> home of your PDDP work, and I'll package it for Debian, and
>> make sure
>> the new layout works in Pd-extended.
>
> That works.  Should it be merged with the current pddp libdir?

No, the 'pddp' lib is a standard Pd library of objects meant to
support documentation.  The idea of this chunk is a collection of
reference and tutorials.  What if, for now, we make doc/pddp/tutorials
and add 2.control.examples, 3.audio.examples and 4.data.structures
there.  Then keep reference patches in doc/pddp for now while we
figure out the best place for them.

It might make sense, for example, to keep the reference patches in the
'vanilla' libdir in externals/vanilla.  That's a library of all the
vanilla core objects split out into a library.  But its probably not
quite yet time to do this, since that library is only vaguely defined
now.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson