[PD-dev] replace spaces in list class names with hyphens

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Jul 15 17:01:38 CEST 2011

On Jul 15, 2011, at 4:18 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 07/14/2011 11:55 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> I've got a working tooltip prototype going, and I just noticed that
>> all the list classes screw up things on the tcl side, because with
>> "list append" (for example) it suddenly looks like there is one
>> more arg to the proc.
>>
>> Are there any other objects that have a space in the creator name?
>> If not, could we just make it official that creator names can't
>> have spaces, and change all the "list foo" creators objects to
>> "list-foo"?
>>
>> This would be transparent to the user*, since they can still type
>> "list foo" and list_new will instantiate the right class.
>> (Although going forward I would suggest using "list-foo" as it is
>> the standard for all the listabs abstractions.)
>>

> while i was always opposed to using object names with spaces [1], i
> don't think that we should forbid it at all. i would rather have the
> GUI
> side have an idea of what is the object name and what are the
> arguments
> (e.g. "create {list split} {1}" rather than "text list split 1")
> than to
> add arbitrary limitations.
>
> some externals use "proxy objects" for full-fledged non-first inlets,
> and those proxies tend to have "hard to type" names as well. how do
> your
> tooltips deal with those?

I have to agree. Though it is more work, I think we should support
object names with any character in them.  Tcl can definitely do it
without much difficulty, as long as  the details aren't ignored.

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs