[PD-dev] amd64 pdextended nightly-builds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jul 30 00:52:24 CEST 2011

On Jul 29, 2011, at 4:44 AM, Pierre Mersadier wrote:

> Le jeudi 28 juillet 2011 à 19:42 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner a
> écrit :
>> On Jul 28, 2011, at 7:39 AM, Pierre Mersadier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi HansChristoph,

>>> I now trying to work with pbuilder which seems to be a very good
>>> tool to
>>> build debian packages for differents versions of debian/ubuntu
>>> distributions, my goal is to provide multiples x86_64 builds for
>>> ubuntu
>>> natty/maverick/etc/... and debian stable/unstable/etc/... all these
>>> builds could be done on the same 64bits computer.
>>> From what I understand it is really doable with pbuilder, I did some
>>> tests this morning.
>>
>>> somes questions/remarks :
>>>
>>> A) is there some debian rules for the whole pdextended source tree ?
>>> 'pd-extended/pd' contains './debian 'but if I run pdebuild it
>>> seems it
>>> build only pd and not all the externals...
>>> see logs : http://pastebin.com/EK8MhaDj
>>>
>>> B) alsoI had to delete pd/debian/patches/* because pdebuil wasn't
>>> able
>>> to apply patches to the source tree :
>>> <snip...>
>>> 	quilt --quiltrc /dev/null push -a || test $? = 2
>>> Applying patch 01_big_endian.diff
>>> patching file src/s_audio_alsa.c
>>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 469.
>>> Hunk #2 FAILED at 581.
>>> 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- rejects in file src/s_audio_alsa.c
>>> Patch 01_big_endian.diff does not apply (enforce with -f)
>>> dh_quilt_patch: quilt --quiltrc /dev/null push -a || test $? = 2
>>> returned exit code 1
>>> make: *** [build] Error 25
>>> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit
>>> status 2
>>> E: Failed autobuilding of package
>>> I: unmounting /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache filesystem
>>> I: unmounting dev/pts filesystem
>>> I: unmounting proc filesystem
>>> I: cleaning the build env
>>> I: removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//10491 and its
>>> subdirectories
>>>

>>> So, on my free time I'll continue to test/learn because these tools
>>> seems very powerfull !
>>
>> This would be really awesome to have all those builds.  pbuilder is a
>> very powerful tool, but sadly, the Pd-extended package is a big hack
>> and not created in a way that'll let you use pbuilder, as far as I
>> know.  Instead, I've been setting up chroots with debootstrap.  The
>> build scripts can already handle many chroots as long as they are
>> in /
>> var/chroot.
>
> Ok, I can try the chroot method, in fact I have already have a
> chrooted
> env for ubuntu on this server, but the way pbuilder works is just
> great
> (a one line command for build !).
> Build in a chroot environment seems to me much harder, as I dont know
> how to tell cron to run the comand inside the chrooted env...

The build script already changes to each chroot. You just need to cron
the ~pd/auto-build/pd-extended/scripts/auto-build/run-automated-
builder build script, then it'll look into ~pd/auto-build for builds
to run (in the form of named folders, i.e. pd-extended). And it'll run
the pd-extended-auto-builder.sh in each chroot it finds in /var/chroot.

> (Also I understand that the only thing that pbuilder/pdebuild miss
> is ./debian folders (rules, changelog, etc) in each project (every
> externals and pd)... Maybe it is not a big deal as we can provide
> empty
> or fake infos to satisfy pdebuild ??)

There is no debian/rules for that package.  My guess is that it would
be a fair amount of work, but I could be wrong.  Plus if that approach
is more interesting to you, that'll probably mean that more work
that's interesting is better than less annoying work.

.hc

>>> Do you go to the pdcon 2011 in weimar ?
>>
>> My wife and I just had a baby one week ago, so I can't go this year.
>> I've been to every other, and almost nothing else would have made me
>> miss the PdCon.  Its always been a great time and immersive
>> experience.
>
> I understand what you mean, I have 2 boys : 2 and 9 years old, and
> they
> take a loooooot of time and energy, but hey! I love them ! :D
>
> we keep in touch,
> pierre

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams