[PD-dev] Status of GUI rewrite?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 22 18:04:31 CEST 2011

On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Stephen Lavelle wrote:

>> You can increase the font size which will make the boxes bigger.
>> Also, you might like the new inlet/outlet highlighting that's in Pd-
>> extended 0.43 and pd-l2ork.  The inlets and outlets are tagged
>> using Tk tags, so you should be able to change their size using the
>> Tk canvas commands 'coords' or 'itemconfigure -width', etc.  I've
>> never tried tho.
>> Their hitboxes aren't though - canvas_doclick in g_editor.c has
>> hard-coded numbers.
>
> Arg, yes, that's true... sigh...  but I find the inlet/outlet
> highlighting helps a lot.
>
> If I were to try make a patch, what do you think the appropriate
> place to expose it?  It feels like it would sit well beside the font
> size options...

If you're modifying the C code, then I think the best approach would
be to expose the settings in a way that people could change them via
Tcl i.e. a GUI plugin.  Then people can play around with all sorts of
behaviors. Its going to be the kind of thing where it'll be difficult
to change the existing behavior because so many people expect it to
work like that.  So it needs to be something customizable.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli