[PD-dev] pd-extended 0.43 release push

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 13 18:06:45 CEST 2011

I was thinking that now would be a good time to start a release cycle
for Pd-extended 0.43.  There is a ton of really useful new stuff in the
editor with the new gui, plugins, etc.  So I'm thinking I'll delay some
of the library work I've been doing, and revert to the 0.42.5 behavior
of loading a bunch of libraries by default at startup.  But I personally
be dropping my support for a number of included libraries, but anyone is
welcome to pick them up if they want to see them stay in Pd-extended.
You can see the state of things here:

http://puredata.info/docs/LibrariesInPdExtended

This can be a trial run of the new process of keeping things in
Pd-extended.  Basically, I need to reduce my maintenance load, I just
can't keep up any more.  So I am proposing that the new process for
getting things into a Pd-extended release.  First, the new release
branch will be a copy of the previous release branch. Each library/doc
has a maintainer, listed on the LibrariesInPdExtended page.  It is that
maintainer's job to update their libraries/docs into the pd-extended
release branch, otherwise the version will be the same as the previous
version.  Each version of a library included in Pd-extended needs to a
fully released version with a proper version number and a release posted
on its own page in the http://puredata.info/downloads section, and
ultimately uploaded to Debian/testing (I'm happy to sponsor people's
packages for upload to Debian once they are ready).  The full process is
documented here:

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingIntoPdextended

Comments, feedback, concerns?  I'd like to make this a much more open
and participatory process.