[PD-dev] removing path and libs from Pd-extended preferences GUI

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 22:19:34 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

A few questions:

* What's the difference between [import foo] and [declare -lib foo]?  Both
seem to load the library into the patch's local namespace.
* Isn't there an issue between loading a lib in the patch's local
namespace and the way the setup routine works globally for a library?

If I have

Patch #1
[import iemguts]

Patch #2
[sendcanvas] <- sendcanvas won't load, because its lib was only loaded for Patch #1

But if I have

Patch #1
[import iemguts]
[sendcanvas]

Patch #2
[sendcanvas] <- this loads, because instantiating [sendcanvas] in Patch #1 loaded the
lib globally

Finally:
* why did you develop [import] instead of improving [declare]?

-Jonathan