[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-3413815 ] pd-extended build fails when creating symbolic links

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 25 20:24:05 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3413815, was opened at 2011-09-25 14:24
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by arthurdenture
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=3413815&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: pd-extended
Group: v0.43

Initial Comment:
I am building pd-extended using the instructions at http://puredata.info/docs/developer/BuildingPdExtended. During the "make install" step, the build errors out with the following:

cd /home/jacob/src/pure-data/packages/linux_make/build//usr/lib/pd-extended/startup && \
		ln -s ../extra/libdir/ libdir
cd /home/jacob/src/pure-data/packages/linux_make/build//usr/lib/pd-extended/startup && \
		ln -s ../extra/pdlua/ pdlua
ln: creating symbolic link `pdlua/pdlua': File exists
make[1]: *** [pd_install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jacob/src/pure-data/packages'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I think the problem is that the build previously failed for some other reason, and now the pd_install target at packages/Makefile tries to create a symbolic link that already exists. The workaround is to delete the links in build/usr/lib/pd-extended/startup.

One fix for this would be to pass -f to those ln commands. I'm not sure if there's a more proper way; for instance, I don't think "install" creates symbolic links. I've attached that fix as a patch.