[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3383472 ] tooltips part 3: the saga continues

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 26 19:41:40 CEST 2011

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=3383472&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Here's a new angle on the tooltips idea that adds three somewhat related functions to Pd:
1) "Autotips", available from the "Edit" menu.  Parses help patches on the fly when the mouse enters an object/xlet.  (Works the same with abstractions, too.)
2) Manual tips through a "tip" canvas method.
3) An "echo" canvas method, which just passes a message to a canvas without displaying it.  (Useful in conjunction with the "get" method from my other patch, and probably other contexts as well.)

It's all done with some canvas bindings in tcl and a few canvas methods, so neither t_class nor t_widgetbehavior is touched.  However, if it's desirable to add <Enter> and <Leave> widgetbehaviors at a later date, it should be possible without changing any of the code in this patch.

Hopefuly I "diff'd" correctly, against vanilla 0.43.0.  (Works for me in Fedora 15...)

Date: 2011-09-26 13:41

Message:
I just tried a complete Pd-extended build with this patch, adn still no
luck,

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)