[PD-dev] Unit tests

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 29 06:41:03 CEST 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 12:10 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:08:49PM -0400, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> Good point. I am now sending Marvin a copy of the WebPd unit test
>> patches
>> licensed under BSD-3.
>
> Cool!
>
> I'm excited to look through these materials.  I'm a Pd noob with a
> lot to
> learn and tests can serve as very enlightening documentation!  :)
>
> Sooner or later, I'll likely contribute unit tests, and I'm
> confident in my
> general testing expertise.  I'm pleased to have started this
> thread... Still,
> it seems to me like the introduction of a testing framework ought to
> move
> ahead on its own, since there are already candidate frameworks
> available.
>
> There are several long-time Pd community members who believe that
> the core
> would benefit from the addition of unit tests.  I'd like to add my
> voice to
> their chorus.
>
> I would also like to opine that the addition of a unit testing
> framework seems
> like it would be a conservative, non-disruptive change.  A public
> API for the
> the testing framework need not be exposed -- not right away, and
> theoretically
> never.  Existing core code should require few if any changes to
> accommodate a
> test harness.  Naturally, though, we would want the framework we use
> to be the
> best it can be.
>
> What opinions are out there with regards to the two existing candidate
> frameworks?  What do they have in common?  How do they contrast?  Do
> they
> suggest improvements for each other?

We've known for many years that tests would be a really useful thing.
Its just a matter of someone doing the work. A few of us have done
some work here and there, as you have seen.  But we haven't gotten a
coherent package.  So I'll be happy to see you work on this :)

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.