[PD-dev] remove all .la (libtool archives) files created by autotools

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:10:28 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 12:00 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2011, at 11:52 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> > On 2011-09-29 17:41, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >>
> >> What is the problem this is trying to solve?  How are the .la files
> >> causing problems ?  The Pd-extended is crufty enough as it is with
> >> lots
> >> of kludges like this that I'm mostly responsible for.  I've learned
> >> thru
> >> the error of my ways, and have been working to make it all much
> >> cleaner
> >> and simpler.
> >
> > roman asked why zexy installs a large number of never-before-seen
> > files,
> > and i told him that they can safely be deleted.
> >
> > so the "problem" is that they are pointless files, lying around on the
> > filesystem doing no good, and only lead to confusion.
> >
> > if you prefer to have the files around, feel free to keep them.
>

> I prefer to not have global kludges in the build system.  Yes there
> are still many, but we should be reducing them not adding them. I
> don't really care either way about the .la files.
>
> If zexy is causing this problem, then this find/rm thing should be
> part of the zexy_install target, instead of global.

Fair enough. And sorry for adding another global kludge.

IOhannes and me agreed that those files generally are unnecessary.
That's why I put the line to the global install target. However, I very
much understand your preference not to add more of those global
'solutions'.

If that's ok with you, I'll move it to zexy_install and make it a zexy
only solution.

Roman