[PD-dev] double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:28:44 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> I think it makes sense to work off of
> pure-data.git rather than pd-extended.git since this is a patch targetted at
> getting into Miller's repo.

Right. Even then, we could add some external libs to work on, starting
with zexy and cyclone for example. The question is how to load
appropriate executables into local single and double precision test
builds of vanilla Pd. A single preference file is shared by all
vanilla Pd installations, therefore setting searchpaths via
preferences is no option. Each Pd should only load from it's own
'extra' directory. With the extra's included in vanilla Pd, this works
fine as far as I have seen. I tested bonk~ in single and double
precision Pd simultaneously without symbol collision.

> As for arch issues, I think Intel and ARM are the big ones to test these
> days.  But PPC is fine too.

Expressed in number of 'users', ARM is probably the most popular
target hardware for Pd at the moment. It should be easy to patch libpd
with the same .patch files, or not? Some modified files are inexistent
in libpd (s_audio_pa.c, vexpr.c etc). It's important to at least
benchmark-test rewritten code on this hardware indeed, if we want to
make a unified doube-precision-ready Pd happen.

Katja