[PD-dev] where is Pd's "-stdlib"? (was Re: request sponsor/upload for pd-pdstring)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 4 16:48:20 CEST 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 09:45 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2011, at 5:19 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>> I'm all for [import] and I also think it is much nicer to use, but
>>> unfortunately it is not (yet) part of vanilla. And yes, I think also
>>> [declare] should work in an 'inclusive' manner.
>>
>> apt-get install puredata-import :-D
>
> I do know about it being available in Debian. That still doesn't
> make it
> part of vanilla. I'm not sure I get your point. By pointing to
> puredata-import are you implying that making [declare] work
> correctly is
> not worth the effort? Should its usage be abandoned in your opinion?
>
> I'm desperately looking for a _generic_ (read: 'working in all
> flavours') way to enable libraries in a consistent way. Since
> [declare]
> is part of vanilla and works in all flavors, it appeared to me to be
> the
> best candidate. That is why I used [declare] in all Debian package
> readmes to show how to enable the respective library. The current
> implementation of [declare] has some flaws, which I tried to point
> out.
> I think it shouldn't be too difficult to agree on how it is supposed
> work.
>
> OTOH, we could simply ditch [declare] and recommend using [import] to
> everyone.
>
> Personally, I think that trying to fix [declare] is worth the
> discussion. Also I would like to have it fixed.

Yes, it would be good to have declare fixed.  I was just saying that
[import] is a pretty easy option is a lot of places.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson