[PD-dev] double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:34:37 CEST 2011

Hello,

Happy to see so many test results from IOhannes.

The 'perfotest' patches were initially created for function profiling,
to check if there are particularly time consuming instructions. To
mention a funny example: I was happy to see that fabs() was translated
to a single instruction ANDPS / ANDPD for xmm registers. But for the
FPU it is a call. The same for isnan(). That's why PD_BIGORSMALL must
still do a bitpattern check on aliased floats.

For benchmarking original and double-ready Pd as a whole, I used two
(fairly cool and elaborate) patches which were written in pure
vanilla:

- Chaosmonster1 from www.martin-brinkmann.de (10 instances or so)
- Cave of Creation by Hamster, http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-5080-2.html

Both works feature enough of the rewritten code to make them
representative overall benchmarks. If double-ready Pd performs as well
as original Pd with usual compiler settings, on all possible
platforms, I would be satisfied. After all, the purpose of the whole
thing was to get some more decimal places in our numbers, not to make
Pd run faster.

Katja