[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3418851 ] read startup config files from /etc/puredata/conf.d

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 5 16:13:19 CEST 2011

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jancsika1
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=3418851&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: feature

Initial Comment:
Hello,

I was looking at using puredata from debian, and currently, it's a bit of a mess, if I want to use PD + gem, I need to install both, and then mess up with config files, or, as the readme suggest (Readme.Debian), launch pd with an extenssive commandline:

| to start Pd with Gem support, issue the command (without the '%' sign)
|
| % pd -path /usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem -lib Gem
|
| OR
|
| use the provided script instead of directly starting Pd:
|
| % /usr/bin/pd-gem
|
| OR
|
| start Pd
| - navigate to "File->Path..." and add "/usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem" to the list of search-paths
| - click OK
| - navigate to "File->Startup..." and add "Gem" to the list of binaries to be loaded
| - click "Apply" and "Save all settings"
|
| OR
|
| add the following lines to your ~/.pdrc file (deprecated)
|
| -path /usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem
| -lib Gem

I think it'd be better to automatially include a file, that's what this patch is all about (and to be able to make a pd extenssion debian policy).

tell me what you think

Comment By: Jonathan Wilkes (jancsika1)
Date: 2011-10-05 10:13

Message:
@h-tee-tee-pee-yes: If you were looking at help patches, the [import]
object is excluded because libdir externals put the binaries in the same
directory as the help patches.

It does seem weird to have to import the import object.

Comment By: IOhannes m zmölnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2011-10-05 07:09

Message:
note, that even if all your patches were implemented, i would still rather
NOT enable all apt-installed pdlibs by default (i guess i am with hans
here)

instead, the sysadmin ought to decide on a case-by-case basis (something
like apache's /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/)

Comment By: https://www.google.com/accounts ()