[PD-dev] double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 5 20:02:18 CEST 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 5:08 AM, katja wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
>> So you are saying that the stuff in pd-double is not building using
>> 64-bit
>> floats?
>
> I downloaded Pd-0.43.1-double-20111003-macosx106-x86_64.dmg from the
> auto-build and this one was single precision. Don't know about the
> other builds. Maybe it's better, for the moment at least, to set
> logpost level 2 for the precision message at startup so you see it
> immediately. I used log level 3 in accordance with your intention to
> start Pd with a clean window, but in the testing phase this makes no
> sense indeed.

Ok, makes sense.

>> Let's get a github repo going so we can work on this stuff.  Unless
>> you want to, I'll happily set one up at:
>>
>> https://github.com/pd-projects/pd-double
>
> Yes please if you want to, go ahead. I'm slow with these things, by
> lack of experience. I even still have to learn git, and was comparing
> features of github vs gitorious. Both seem fine.

Sorry, I'm excited and impatient to get this rolling :)  As for
learning git, it can be daunting at first, but it is really worth
spending time learning it.  I can recommend Pro Git, I read it on the
subway.  Its free online, or you can buy a copy:

http://progit.org/book/

Here is the github repo and a wiki section for dev work.  Just send me
your github account name and I'll add it.

https://github.com/pd-projects/pd-double

http://puredata.info/dev/pd-double/

> In the meantime I'll work on a clean up of rewritten code then, and
> based on pure-data.git instead of 0.43-0.

I already applied the fixes, so its up to date in the git.  If you
want to try it for learning, I recommend trying to checkout version
0.43.0 in git, make a branch to work in, then apply your patches, then
'git rebase master' in your branch, and it'll do a lot of work for
you.  But that's not necessary now, just a good case for learning that
feature of git.

A much easier place to start would be to clone the above git repo,
then change the loglevel to 2, then commit it, then 'git push origin
master' to push your commits to the github.

> Thanks for the very supportive cooperation.

Thanks for all this work, its the least we can do.  I like to think
that this is a supportive and cooperative group working on Pd, though
we can be grumpy sometimes ;)
  so I am glad to hear you say that.