[PD-dev] double precision Pd: .patch files, tests and benchmarks

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 5 22:18:01 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 21:37 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 10/05/2011 12:40 PM, katja wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> >
> >> the proper way is to use CPPFLAGS="-DPD_FLOAT_PRECISION=64",
> >
> > But now you undo the CPPFLAGS as defined in the makefile. I didn't
> > know how to add to the CFLAGS from the command line, but found a
> > solution here:
> >
> > http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/localfiles/infofiles/make/make_66.html#SEC65
> >
> > It requires a small adaptation to the makefile. Instead of:
> >
> > CFLAGS = ....
> >
> > comes:
> >
> > override CFLAGS += .....
> >
> > Now you can add to CFLAGS from the command line, like so:
> >
> > make CFLAGS="-DPD_FLOAT_PRECISION=64"
> >
> > Note that the CFLAGS in the makefile now have precedence and you can
> > only add to it from the command line, not override it.
> >

> i don't get the point here, since CPPFLAGS is not set in the Pd
> Makefiles, so setting them to outside should have no weird sideeffects,
> whereas CFLAGS does.
>
> ah, on closer inspection it seems like you are building Pd with the old
> autoconf system (pd/src/configure.ac generates pd/src/makefile), whereas
> i am using (and talking about) the newer autotools based build system
> (pd/configure.ac generates pd/src/Makefile)
>
> afaik, this is the build-system used in the nightly builds (apart from w32)

Yeah, the nightly builds look for pd/autogen.sh and if its found, use
that.  Windows/MinGW can build using that build system, but its not
entirely working yet, so the nightly builds still use
pd/src/makefile.mingw.

I removed the old build system from pd-double.git and pushed the change.
Hopefully that'll reduce confusion.