[PD-dev] Mac OS X 10.5 vs zexy's autogen.sh

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 5 23:13:38 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 17:03 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 22:42 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> > > Its closer, but not quite there, the build this afternoon failed again
> > > on the same thing:
> > >

> > not quite.
> > zexy finished fine!
> > but it failed when building Gem (from which zexy inherited its
> > autogen.sh script)
> >
> > it's fixed in Gem's git, though not in Gem's svn.
> >
> > i really wonder why the problems appear now, as the relevant script has
> > been in use for several months now)
>
> Perhaps your zexy scripts are modifying the build environment?  It first
> calls "make all" on everything, which would run the ./autogen.sh
> scripts, then it runs "make install".  Just a guess.
>
> .hc

Why not just use the ./autogen.sh in puredata.git and stick to the older
versions of the autotools?  It works everywhere.  This dev time could
really be better spent on so many more interesting and useful things
that you have going, like iemguts, Gem, double-precision pd, and your
own art even!   I think zexy's and Gem's build systems are far too
complicated, just about everyone else fears them, no one wants to get
that deep into m4 or autotools.

Plus its still broken on Windows, it builds .a files not .dll.  zexy
doesn't even use libraries besides libc, a simple Makefile would work
fine.