[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-3383472 ] tooltips part 3: the saga continues

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 6 21:28:56 CEST 2011

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jancsika1
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478072&aid=3383472&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Here's a new angle on the tooltips idea that adds three somewhat related functions to Pd:
1) "Autotips", available from the "Edit" menu.  Parses help patches on the fly when the mouse enters an object/xlet.  (Works the same with abstractions, too.)
2) Manual tips through a "tip" canvas method.
3) An "echo" canvas method, which just passes a message to a canvas without displaying it.  (Useful in conjunction with the "get" method from my other patch, and probably other contexts as well.)

It's all done with some canvas bindings in tcl and a few canvas methods, so neither t_class nor t_widgetbehavior is touched.  However, if it's desirable to add <Enter> and <Leave> widgetbehaviors at a later date, it should be possible without changing any of the code in this patch.

Hopefuly I "diff'd" correctly, against vanilla 0.43.0.  (Works for me in Fedora 15...)

Comment By: Jonathan Wilkes (jancsika1)
Date: 2011-10-06 15:28

Message:
No, it's exactly the same.  However, I will be changing it because I found
a bug.

1) Turn on edit mode and autotips.
2) Make a patch with a big matrix of [b] objects.  Make it big enough so
that it takes Pd a little while to close the patch after closing the patch
window with the mouse.
3) Close the patch window, then as quickly as you can, move the mouse to
the middle of an object.
Bug!  The patch closes, and you get a tk error for a "bad window
pathname".  This is because there is an Enter event when you mouse over the
object, but no corresponding Leave event to cancel generating the tooltip
when that object gets deleted from under the mouse.

Any thoughts on the best approach to fixing this?

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2011-10-06 15:01

Message:
Oops, I just saw the updated file now, were there any changes since
tips-rev2.diff?  If so, I didn't include them.

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2011-10-06 14:28

Message:
Ok, works on Ubuntu for me now, I"m including it in Pd-extended.  I added a
keybinding and menu item to match the other editor meta items (autopatch,
magic glass, etc.) Jonathan, if you wanted, you could make the Autotips a
per-patch option using the technique I did for magicglass.  Its not saved
between Pd sessions, but it is while Pd is running.

Comment By: Jonathan Wilkes (jancsika1)
Date: 2011-10-06 14:23

Message:
Yes it is.  I deleting the old files and have the new gzip file with the
revised patch and help files.

Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
Date: 2011-10-06 14:03

Message:
For future reference, you should delete the older revisions of files from
the tracker and only include the current files.  I'm trying this now on
Ubuntu/natty/i386.  I'm guessing that tips-rev2.diff is the right file

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)