[PD-dev] Patch tracker usage

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Mon Oct 10 02:18:59 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 07:52:34PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Most Pd people using the SF tracker aren't aware of its details, (I
> guess me included since I didn't know the order).

Come to think of it, JIRA makes this more obvious by graying out the links on
all the older files.

> I think it makes a  lot more transparent if there is only one copy of the
> files there,  unless there is a specific reason to have both copies of the
> patch  there, like two different approaches.

In this particular case, there was a bug in the first patch which was
corrected in the second.  I was hesitant to remove the first because I figured
committer review would be easier if you could see how the two patches had
changed.

Then the third patch obsoleted both of them by being faster, correct (as far
as I can tell, better than patch 1 at least), and easier to grok.  It does
take a different approach, particularly in u8_charnum(), and that contrast has
been lost.  But oh well.

Marvin Humphrey