[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 11 00:29:03 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 23:47 +0200, katja wrote:
> Today I wanted to find out what cyclone needs to be made
> double-precision-ready. To start with, I tried to just build the
> current code together with the pd-double core. I followed the howto on
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/WorkingWithPdExtendedSources to
> get the sources complete, with the difference that core code is in
> pd-double.git instead of pd-extended.git. For developing I wanted to
> use 'Selective Approach' as discussed on mentioned page. In my
> pd-double/extra/ I created a symbolic link to my
> pd-svn/externals/miXed/cyclone.
>
> Then the howto says: 'Build everything inside pd-extended.git'. I did that with:
>
>     ./autogen.sh
>     ./configure --enable-double-precision
>     sudo make install
>
> A double precision pd is built as usual, but not with cyclone
> included. Funny enough, cyclone showed up as an (empty) entry amidst
> the extra's in the help browser, when I loaded the freshly built pd
> for the first time. But the second time that was gone.
>
> What should I do to include cyclone in the build process?

What I do for this kind of dev work is to skip installing it all
together.  Then you can easily test multiple copies, etc. while leaving
your production Pd setup intact.  That means you will have to use the
specific build systems per chunk, i.e. pd-extended core, cyclone, etc.
So I do this a lot:

./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-double-precision \
  && make && ./src/pd

or once configured, just:

make && ./src/pd

Cyclone has its own layout and build system that is pretty elaborate,
and is different when its installed.  For Pd-extended I've actually
wrapped the build system in miXed/cyclone/Makefile.libdir.  So it may
seem a bit convoluted, but I'd probably do:

cd pd-svn/externals
make DESTDIR=/path/to/pd-double/pd objectsdir=/extra cyclone_install

And that should install it into your pd-double/pd/extra folder