[PD-dev] recent pd-double nightly builds crash at start up

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:49:36 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> That's the 10.6 compatibilily issue I was talking about.  Try searching for
> that error message, and you should find what I mean.  apparently 10.6 loads
> dynamic libraries differently than 10.5.

OK thanks, it's clear now. The nightly builds do not support targets
other then where the build happens. On developer.apple.com, it is
explained what this means for lib loading:

"When building a product targeted at Mac OS X v10.6, the linker, ld,
creates Macho-O images that contain only the new LINKEDIT format;
these programs do not run on Mac OS X v10.5 and earlier. When
targeting Mac OS X v10.5, the linker creates images that contain both
the new and traditional LINKEDIT segment format; this practice allows
programs to run on Mac OS X v10.5 and run very efficiently on Mac OS X
v10.6. (When targeting Mac OS X v10.4 or earlier, the linker produces
only the traditional format.)"

Katja