[PD-dev] recent pd-double nightly builds crash at start up

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 12 18:02:02 CEST 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 8:49 AM, katja wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> That's the 10.6 compatibilily issue I was talking about.  Try
>> searching for
>> that error message, and you should find what I mean.  apparently
>> 10.6 loads
>> dynamic libraries differently than 10.5.
>
> OK thanks, it's clear now. The nightly builds do not support targets
> other then where the build happens. On developer.apple.com, it is
> explained what this means for lib loading:
>
> "When building a product targeted at Mac OS X v10.6, the linker, ld,
> creates Macho-O images that contain only the new LINKEDIT format;
> these programs do not run on Mac OS X v10.5 and earlier. When
> targeting Mac OS X v10.5, the linker creates images that contain both
> the new and traditional LINKEDIT segment format; this practice allows
> programs to run on Mac OS X v10.5 and run very efficiently on Mac OS X
> v10.6. (When targeting Mac OS X v10.4 or earlier, the linker produces
> only the traditional format.)"

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.4 was only set in externals/
Makefile currently.  I just added -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 to the 64-
bit builds, so hopefully that lets them run on 10.5.

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data?view=revision&revision=15575

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White