[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Oct 17 22:42:57 CEST 2011

On Oct 17, 2011, at 4:27 PM, katja wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
>> If you want to have default preferences loaded, which load
>> libraries, etc.
>> at startup, you should be able to copy the Pd-extended prefs file
>> and stick
>> it into two levels down from the 'pd' executable, i.e.:
>>
>> pd-svn/pd/src/pd
>> pd-svn/org.puredata.pd.plist
>
> Well in this case it doesn't work, it's still reading
> ~/Library/Preferences/org.puredata.pd.plist. I've used a local plist
> before, but that was within an .app directory, and even then it's
> tricky. For test patches, I'll use namespaces anyway, think that's the
> best way to ensure the appropriate executables will be loaded within
> all sorts of test builds.
>

>> Ok, I think for now, we can just force double precision on all
>> platforms,
>> and skip the bitness detection.  That'll give you and me a nightly
>> build we
>> can test with (I run Ubuntu/natty 32-bit and Mac OS X 10.5).  Then
>> once we
>> have nailed down complete double precision builds, we can work on the
>> auto-detection.  How does that sound?
>
> For several reasons, it sounds like a good idea to focus on double
> precision builds now:
>
> - double precision Pd can then easily be tested by anyone on any
> system
> - it's confusing when single precision builds are called Pd-043.1-
> double-etc.
>

> There's however a small issue to reckon with: at the moment, the only
> way to force double precision compilation upon the external libs, is
> to hardcode #define PF_FLOAT_PRECISION 64 in m_pd.h. If we put it in
> pd-double git that way, a comment in the code should say that it is
> done for testing purposes, and the install readme should also mention
> this explicitly. If double-precision-ready Pd will ever be united with
> vanilla Pd, which is the intention with no doubt, single precision
> will be the default again for reason of continuity. Only when double
> precision Pd-extended will be seriously available, and tried by
> several people, there will be discussion about whether distributed
> builds should be single or double precision, or both etc. We'll have
> plenty of time to consider pro's and cons of possible scenario's, and
> find way's to implement them.
>
> Anyway, for testing purposes I think default double is the best we can
> do now. Shall I do that, and also update INSTALL.txt?

Sounds good, I think just hardcoding it in m_pd.h with a comment next
to it works.  I'll let you commit and push that change.

>> Also, do you ever use IRC?  I'm in #dataflow a lot, I'm _hc there.
>> Its a
>> great way to work thru a lot of these kinds of dev setup issues.
>
> I'll register to #dataflow to start with, good idea. But you know
> often I need so much time to sort things out, that the mailing list is
> fast enough for me...

You don't need to ask quickly on #dataflow ;)  There are certain
things better on email and others on chat.  For example, all the
little questions that come up when setting up a dev environment can be
quickly answered and discussed.