[PD-dev] pd-double: how to selectively build external libs for development?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:16:27 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:

> Another idea for handling this is to use the ./configure
> --enable-double-precision flag, but have it generate a config.h, which is
> included by m_pd.h.  That should solve this issue, since config.h would be
> auto-generated based on the flag, but all externals would use m_pd.h, which
> reads the PD_FLOAT_PRECISION value from config.h

Ah yes that sounds like a good solution. But what if a lib is built
without ./configure? If config.h is included by m_pd.h, it must always
be there, no matter how you build. This config.h then becomes part of
the API. And ./configure, if called upon, will simply overwrite
config.h, no? And thus change the API, in effect. I don't know, maybe
that's a theoretical issue only.

Katja